- What we need is some action — concrete, tangible action — which will create a sound framework for drastically reducing corruption in governance.
- first step is the creation of a set of laws.
- enacting the law is no panacea. But that is where we begin.
STEPS to be taken
- 1. implement Benami Transaction act
- 2. act on Corrupt Public Servants
- 3. Whistle-Blower Protection act
- 4. amend Representation of the People Act by declaring that any candidate who has been convicted in a court of law even for less than two years or against whom criminal charges have been framed in a court cannot contest elections till he is fully cleared and acquitted.
- presence of criminals in parliament goed directly against the principle of the “integrity of the institution” of Parliament/Legislature as a lawmaking body for good governance.
- this will in one stroke ensure that criminalisation of politics is effectively checked.