· The best solution is to put in place a stable and nuetral afghanistan
· 200 years ago at congress of vienna a pact was reached among regional powers that led to establishment of benelux(belgium, netherlands, luxemburg) as a free zone
· If a similar solution needs to be arrived at in afghanistan, there is a need for cooperation aong its neighbours mainly India, iran, pakistan
· Hillary in India called upon India to participate in a dialogue with US, pakistan and afghanistan on arriving at solution on afghan
· A political solution is being worked out where the taliban are being wooed to renounce violence, break ranks with al-quaeda and respect the afghan consitution (red lines)
WHAT AFGHAN WANTS?
· @ bonn conference 2001, afghan clearly called upon UN to take measures to guarantee sovereignty, integrity and unity of afghan as welll as non interference in afghans internal affairs
WHAT’S US STAND?
· US has shown signs of agreeing to a nuetral solution arrivied at through a regional approach
· It has even shown interest in involving iran in afghan peace dialogue
WHAT IS INDIA DOING?
· India has so far not played any meaning full diplomatic rôle in region
· We have remained satisfied with building roads and infrastructure but left the futures of afghans at hands of americans and pakistanis to decide
· India has been reluctant to enter the diplomatic arena vis-avis afghan since it doesn’t want to hurt pakistan which has firmly held to aviewpoint that India shouldn’t involve in afghan dialogue as it fears India will make afghan a proxy to attack pakistan
WHAT SHOULD INDIA DO?
· We need to work with iran on afghan as we share common concerns on afghan
· We must urge UN to fulfill the demands ade by afghan at bonn conference
· We must gather support from saudi, russia, China and other nations for the regional dialogue